A Beginner's Guide to Chalk Painting
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Leisure Arts teamed up with PLAID to bring you A Beginner's Guide to Chalk Painting. This introductory guide to painting, waxing, and finishing is perfect for people who want to rejuvenate their home without spending a fortune. Featuring FolkArt® Home Decor Chalk, this book contains eight pages of techniques and sixteen tutorials. Turn everday objects into works of art with this wonderful guide.
Most people do not have the funds or the time to remodel their homes. In such cases, it's more beneficial to focus on manageable tasks like refurbishing a favorite dresser or painting the cabinets. Even small changes such as these can lift one's spirits. FolkArt offers a line of no-prep acrylic paints that can give your home a fresh look in no time.
FolkArt chalk paint has an ultra-matte finish that needs no priming or sanding. Ideal for layering and distressing, this chalk is most often used on home decor. It is non toxic, fade resistant, and dries quickly. Chalk paint is most commonly used on wood surfaces, but it also works on laminate, particle board, leather, and more. Seal and protect finished projects with wax (for indoor furniture) or varnish (for heavily-used surfaces). If desired, buff the wax to a satin finish.
A Beginner's Guide to Chalk Painting has covered all the bases. In addition to techniques including Classic Distressed, Stenciling, and Wood Tinting, this guide breaks down less familiar methods such as Rough/Chippy with a Layering Block, Weathered with Wood Tints, Patina, and Combing. My favorite method involves FolkArt's wood tint and Crackle Medium. Achieving a worn and weathered appearance is a snap thanks to this product, which exposes the raw wood or base color of the item. Practice each of these methods by completing these tutorials:
- Basic Basecoating – Lamp and Shade, Bookcase
- Distressed – Hoosier Cabinet, Jars
- Wood Tint – Reverse Tinted Dresser, Tray
- Patina/Combed – Dresser, Ornamental Box
- Weathered – Cabinet, Lanterns, Shells
- Rust/Patina – Metal Monogram, Shutters
- Rough/Chippy – Vinyl Floor Covering, Table, Spice Rack
Based on these projects alone, chalk paint is a versatile material that can give your home decor a much-needed upgrade. Plus, A Beginner's Guide to Chalk Painting is a great resource to use when dreaming up your own designs. With step-by-step instructions, a detailed tools glossary, and tons of photos, this book makes readers feel as though they can tackle any home improvement challenge.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This Rustic Coffee Filter Wreath is a beautiful home decor item for the fall. It's easy to make and looks great hanging by a mantel… Continue reading: "Rustic Coffee Filter Wreathvideocam"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Patchwork Sampler Bag
- Fall Inspired Chunky Blanket
- Crochet Candy Corn Amigurumi
- Polar Bear Sweater
- Fall Tissue Paper Suncatchers Craft
- Easy Coffee Filter Turkeys Thanksgiving Craft
- Pumpkin Size Sorting Printable Activity For Kindergarten
- Lacy Zigzag Scarf
- Attractive Wall Hanging From Paper
- Frame From Newspaper
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home