Yummy Cupcake Ornaments
So cute, so sweet, such an adorable way to decorate for any holiday or even a birthday. Detail felt pieces with 3D paint for sweet success.
See this project and more ornament sewing tutorials in 6 Sew Easy to Make Christmas Ornaments, a free eBook to download!
Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint
- 65000 White
- 65010 Pink
- 65032 Leaf Green
- 65141 Bright Red
- 3” green cording
- Needle with large eye
- Felt, 1 sheet each pink, red
- 6” Pink ribbon, 1/8” wide
- Sewing thread, to match ribbon
- Embroidery floss, white, light pink
- Straight pins
- Paper towels
1. Cut out patterns. Cut felt in half crosswise then layer. Pin cupcake bottom pattern to red felt and top to pink felt. Cut out creating two for each cupcake.
2. Thread needle with a 24” length of white floss. Sew a basting stitch, about ¼” in from edge along three sides of bottom section of cupcake, leaving top open.
3. Thread needle with pink floss. Insert bottom section about a third of the way into top section then sew a basting stitch around edge through all layers.
4. To create hanger for ornament, fold ribbon over and tie a knot in one end. Trim ends close to knot then sew in place on back of ornament.
5. Tie a knot in one end of cording then trim end close to knot, this will be used for stem of cherry. Trim stem to about 1-½” and set aside.
6. Start flow of 3D Paint on paper towel using even pressure on bottle for smooth line.
7. To create cherry, squeeze a large dot of Bright Red where shown. Immediately insert end of stem into paint and add more paint if needed to fill in.
8. Detail cupcake as follows:
Pink – small swirls on frosting
Leaf Green – one small holly leaf from each swirl
White: lines on bottom, wavy lines on top, highlight on cherries
9. Let dry then hang on tree.